Friday, July 7, 2017

The problem with stockart...a cover designer's dilemma.

Well, that cover everyone loved for WILD had to be changed. I found out there is another cover through Dreamspinner that uses the same model in almost the exact same way as mine. Theirs was out first. This is a problem many cover artists run into. Stock art is open for anyone to buy and use. You don't get exclusive rights to it.

When an author makes or buys cover art, they don't want their book to be confused with someone else's. So, I had to change my cover. The cover concept I used is perfect for the story, so I stuck with it. No one else will have this model because I created him by cobbling together pieces of other photos; someone who truly looks like Keegan.

The new cover is the same, but not the same.

I hope you understand why I had to change my cover and will love my new version too.

Here are some of my attempts

No comments:

Post a Comment